04 Jan 2023 Covid-19: China to Reopen Its Borders and to Downgrade Covid-19 Management
1. Covid-19: China to Reopen Its Borders and to Downgrade Covid-19 Management
Recently, China released a series of policies to further ease Covid-19 curbs, among which we summarize the following for an update:
(1) No quarantine will be carried out for international arrivals as of January 8, 2023.
Before departure, travelers to China shall still provide with a negative nucleic acid test issued within 48 hours, but no need to apply for a health code from Chinese embassies and consulates abroad.
After arrival in China, no nucleic acid test would be tested.
(2) Downgrading of management of Covid-19 from Category A to Category B infectious disease as of January 8, 2023.
Consequently, epidemic information reporting will be published monthly under Category B management, instead of publishing daily under Category A management.
Quarantine on infected people, tracking of close contacts of infected people and classification on high risk areas will be officially canceled.
(3) Remove control measures on the number of international flights and gradually resume passenger entry and exit at land and waterway ports.
(4) Further optimise arrangements for foreigners coming to China for resumption of work and production, business, study, family visits and reunions, and provide visa facilities. Gradually resume outbound tourism for Chinese citizens.
 International arrivals shall conduct a normal health declaration and routine checks at Customs. If international arrivals got fever, Customs personnel will perform a self-antigen test on the traveler with fever, and if the result is positive, he/she can go home. If the symptoms are severe, the traveler can go to hospital.
2. GDP Statistics: Growth rate of 8.4% in 2021
The National Bureau of Statistics issued the Announcement on Final Verification of GDP in 2021 on December 27, 2022.
According to the Announcement, the total GDP in current prices in 2021 was RMB 114,923.7 tillion, an increase of 8.4% over the previous year.
The top three industries in terms of growth rate are: information transmission, software and information technology services (17.4%), accommodation and catering (15.6%), and transport, storage and postal services (15.1%).
Should you need to know more details, please reach us at email@example.com.